Tuesday

The Weight of a Mouse--The Age of a Tree

Today Albert got this idea that he could weigh his mice. So he brought them down one at a time and put them on our scale. And then he wrote down how much each one weighed. All of a sudden he was totally engaged. But his numbers were not very good, so after he finished, I suggested he practice writing some numbers, and surprisingly, he agreed. I wrote the numbers across the top and showed him how to make each one, and he copied them all three or four times, VERY carefully, and really very well.

Then we decided to go out for a walk to collect autum leaves for some new placemats. Albert saw a big stump and decided to climb up on top of it. I asked him if he could count the rings and he was totally interested in doing it. He sat there for awhile counting up the rings (there were 89) and I told him that that tree must have been born the same year as Grandma Estelle. He thought about that for awhile. And then he wrote down 89 (VERY well) on a piece of paper I found in my pocket. And then he went off to find other stumps to see how old they were. It was really fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home